Headaches and Other Neurologic Problems
Headaches are common complaints in emergency rooms and urgent care centers. There are a variety of reasons people experience head pain, some of which can suggest a serious problem.
Some common causes of headaches include:
- subarachnoid hemorrhage
- cluster headaches
- tension headache
- medication withdrawal
- vision trouble
Common symptoms related to headaches for which you should seek treatment include:
- fever with a headache
- fever with a rash and headache
- nausea and vomiting
- headache that comes on suddenly and is severe
- worst headache of your life
- weakness/stroke-like symptoms
- numbness or tingling of arms or legs
- hearing or vision changes
- abnormal behavior
***IF YOU HAVE WEAKNESS, FACIAL DROOP, DIFFICULTY TALKING OR WALKING***
CALL 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY
We’re available Sunday-Thursday, 11AM-10PM and Friday-Saturday 11AM-11PM
EVALUATION OF YOUR HEADACHE SYMPTOMS
Your emergency doctor will obtain a complete physical and history to determine what is required to diagnose the cause of your symptoms. This may include:
- CT head
- lumbar puncture
TREATMENT OF YOUR HEADACHE OR SYMPTOMS
While evaluation is being undertaken to determine the cause of your head pain, your symptoms may be controlled with IV fluids and medications. Once you have improved and it is determined that you will not need further work-up or admission we will help arrange plans for follow up and determine any treatments required for home. Should you require admission to the hospital we will arrange this at your hospital of choice.
If you are experiencing headache pain and you can safely come to ER Specialists, we would love to help you. If you are alone or have any doubt about getting to our facility safely, or, believe you are experiencing a medical emergency please call 911.
CALL WITH HEADACHE QUESTIONS
Our staff is ready for you Sunday-Thursday from 11:00 A.M. – 10:00 P.M. and Friday and Saturday 11:00 A.M.- 11:00 P.M.
- What is a Fever - WHAT IS A FEVER? Fever is a body temperature that is greater than 100.4 F. Although we tend to think of fever as a response to infection, there are other things that cause a fever, but we’ll keep it simple in this post and talk about fevers related to infections. Read More
- Head Injury Danger - Our staff is trained in emergency medicine which means we are comfortable with emergencies. We know what can be treated at our urgency center and we know when you require the comprehensive care of a hospital based emergency room or direct admission to a hospital. We are smaller than an Read More