Preparing for Your DOT Physical
- Bring names and addresses of all your doctors
- Bring a complete list of ALL of your medications with doses (including over-the-counter,
- Complete the Medical Examination Report Form Section 1 (print a copy here) There
is a specific form they need – can a link to a printable document be placed on this
- Be prepared to perform hearing and vision testing with corrective lenses, contacts and/
or hearing aids if you require them.
- Drink plenty of fluids to provide a required urine sample.
DOT PHYSICAL QUESTIONS?
We’re available Sunday-Thursday, 11AM-10PM and Friday-Saturday 11AM-11PM
At minimum, bring a letter from your cardiologist (heart specialist) that outlines your medical history and current medications and indicates you are safe to drive a DOT vehicle.
You may also need to bring the results of a recent stress test, ECHO cardiogram, or other testing completed within the past 1-2 years.
If you have experienced stroke, a brain tumor, seizure disorder or bleeding in the brain you should bring a letter from your neurologist (brain and nerve specialist) that outlines your medical history, current medications, and current neurologic and psychiatric state.
Permanent loss of use in an arm or a leg please bring an overview from your physician of the injury and if you have any work restrictions due to the injury.
You may need a Skilled Performance Examination in order to qualify for your DOT card.
Use of coumadin (Warfarin) for treatment of specific disease that require this blood thinner will require that you bring a recent INR (blood level and clearance) letter from your doctor.
Additionally, use of any medications that may cause sedation or sleepiness or controlled substances (includes narcotics, sleeping pills, anxiety medication, ADHD medication) may require a note and medical records from your treating physician regarding the
safety of driving a DOT vehicle while using these medications.
The more information you bring to your initial visit the more likely the exam will be completed with success. The above are strictly guidelines and you may be required, by your DOT examiner, to obtain additional information or testing prior to certification.
If you are uncertain about whether you will qualify for a DOT card, you may want to schedule a visit with your primary or specialty physician BEFORE your re-certification date. Each physical examination, just like each DOT applicant, is unique.
The above are guidelines only, and not meant to be all inclusive or as a guarantee of passing the exam. Additional testing or/information may be required by your DOT examiner.
CALL WITH DOT PHYSICAL QUESTIONS
Our staff is ready for you Sunday-Thursday from 11:00 A.M. – 10:00 P.M. and Friday and Saturday 11:00 A.M.- 11:00 P.M.
- Heat Exhaustion And Heatstroke - Heat Exhaustion And Heatstroke The terms heat exhaustion and heatstroke often makes the news during the hot summer months. They are both descriptions for a condition that very few people are aware of or are just ignorant about; however, these conditions are dangerous and can be life-threatening if symptoms are… Read More
- Diabetes - Read More
- Hypothermia - Hypothermia Hypothermia can happen anytime the outside temperature falls below the comfort zone. In Colorado Springs, you could get hypothermia well into Spring - in April or May. Hypothermia occurrences in the mountains are common in almost any season and all suspected cases should be treated seriously - even if… Read More
- Frostbite - We've all heard of frostbite. However, most of us probably never think we need to know more about it, so there's a real possibility that some of us might ignore the potentially deadly effects of frostbite. If you are going to be outside during cold weather (yes even springtime weather… Read More
- Open House & Anniversary Celebration - ER Specialists Urgency Center saves patients 70 percent of traditional emergency room costs and is celebrating two years in business with an open house and facility tour. Our Open House & Anniversary Celebration is held in partnership with the Colorado Springs Chamber & Economic Development Corporation (EDC). We will host… Read More